I used to run an Etsy shop, and since I closed that down, crafting has become a double-edged sword for me. I used to have a passion for crafting, and would love to reignite that within myself--I'm always happier when I am being creative in some way--but when it comes to specifically crafting, running a for-profit Etsy shop sort of sapped all the fun out of it for me. All the bookkeeping, social media, and business aspects could be fun sometimes--it's fun to create something, sell it, and reap the benefits! But I was getting so mired down in those aspects of running my shop, it took all the fun out of the craft itself. The whole enterprise was time-consuming, draining, and, frankly, the very reason I got into it--the crafting--had become a chore. And now, by extension, that's how I feel about all types of crafting, even though my crafts are generally just for me these days and not to sell. It still feels like a chore.
Well, I don't want it to be that way anymore. I want to return to my love of crafting. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to get into some sort of creative hobby or endeavor, but who stops short because of some kind of psychological roadblock. So I'm going to brainstorm here and tease out some specific solutions to help me reignite my passion for crafting, in hopes that some of my ideas might translate for your hang-up, too, whatever it may pertain to.
Here we go:
1. Treat yo'self: set aside crafting "me-time" every week.
When I was running my Etsy shop, I had to try to cram in crafting time between my other life obligations and leisure activities, which wasn't always easy. That definitely added to the stress that made it become decidedly un-fun. I'd like to approach it in a completely different light to try to erase that old stigma I attached to crafting time. I think I should start setting aside "scheduled" craft time at least once a week, or maybe more--like whenever Mr. Epic would like to play video games, I could go work at my craft desk instead of puttering around on my phone--and I want to view this craft time as a treat for myself. It should be my "me time," especially because much of it will involve me making crafts for ME. (And Avery, which is just like an extension of making them for me.) I see myself with a (decaf) coffee or tea from my Keurig and maybe a scented candle helping to set the mood of self-pampering time in my craft nook or at my sewing desk while I make things that I want to make, for no one else's enjoyment or use but my own. And then, when Avery is in the picture, I can retreat to my crafting me-time as a leisure activity that is easy to do with her around, and yet still gives me the feeling that I'm treating myself to some mental health time.
2. Stick a toe in the for-profit waters now and then, but don't dive in.
I do still like selling my creations. It gives me money to buy more craft supplies, or to cover the costs of the supplies I made those creations with! It is a way to get my crafts circulating out and about in the world, being appreciated by others, and I like that. And, of course, I like selling my crafts and making money off of them. Not only does it make my time feel satisfyingly worthwhile to earn money from selling my crafts, but it also tells me people appreciate the quality and aesthetic of what I've done enough to pay money for it.
All that said, running a year-round Etsy shop turned the craft-selling enterprise into something I didn't enjoy keeping up with. Yeah, yeah, that's me complaining about my business being too successful. But I think keeping it on a different scale, and not feeling like I have to be jacked into online marketing and social media all the time, would go a long way for keeping me interested in the selling aspect. I'm thinking about seasonal craft fairs--the little old ladies who make and sell sachets and rag dolls don't all have an online presence; I want to do it sporadically like them. I can also still take custom requests from friends and family (I'm making bridesmaid jewelry for a coworker's wedding in May) and if I feel up to it, I can even post on my personal Facebook to let others know I'm up for making things to sell to them on small-scale. But I don't have to be a 24/7 craft factory. I get to decide what volume of sales I want, because from my experience, I know how to more or less control what level of demand I'm getting through what actions I'm taking.
3. Draw motivation from a place of inspiration, not pressure.
It's common sense that when I'm crafting due to inspiration, I enjoy it infinitely more and am much more motivated than when I'm crafting due to pressure. Whether that pressure comes from the need to fulfill Etsy orders, or the need to fill up my shop's inventory, or some other need, it sucks a large portion of the fun out of the crafting at hand. That's not to say that I want to stomp my foot and refuse to do anything out of necessity, but only for the purpose of making myself happy--that's kind of a short-sighted and unrealistic attitude to have toward most things in life--but when I have the luxury to choose whether a hobby is going to be personally fulfilling and fun versus a big pain in the rear, it's not a hard choice to make! Of course, part of me feels a small twinge of guilt for lacking the ambition to succeed on a businessy level, especially when I am capable of doing so, but...I am trying to train myself not to feel guilty about doing what makes sense for me and what makes me happy, even if on some level it feels like I'm copping out. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I have to, nor does it make it the best thing for me and my family.
Okay, I'm not sure if any of that made sense in the slightest, but I'll try to sum it up a bit. I think these universal principles can be drawn from my inner ramblings:
If you're trying to figure out how to balance your life around doing some creative endeavor and keeping in the spirit of making yourself happy with it instead of turning it into something you resent, then 1) Do it for YOU and make it fun again, 2) Choose how involved you get with it based on what makes sense for you, and 3) Do it for self-fulfillment, not to meet external pressures.
So, what endeavor are you hemming-and-hawing about because you're not sure how to balance it in your life and keep it fun? How do you keep the spark alive?


Before the kid was born I was a freelance writer for various articles. It's funny how fun quickly turns into work when it's on demand, day after day. There wasn't much creativity involved, but it sapped my energy for my real love, writing fiction. Now that my baby brain is finally going away, and I'm not currently freelancing, I'm beginning to think about picking my work-in-progress back up, which is exciting.
ReplyDeleteWriting fiction is another of my passions, too. I'm hoping to get back to that at some point after baby is a little older, too, so it gives me hope to hear that you are getting to the point of being ready for it again. :)
Delete