How the hell do you pin down a subjective, weird, not-really-measurable sensation to determine if it fits into a number of vague, varied descriptions? And why am I so obsessed with figuring out if what I'm feeling is Braxton-Hicks contractions?
I mean, I am pretty sure that if I was having actual labor contractions, I would be way more certain than this about it, so I am ((mostly)) not worried about it being that. So, what's the big deal whether I have a specific, verified name for every new sensation I experience in pregnancy? Well, I guess it all comes down to fear of the unknown. I am not really afraid about labor itself because I feel like I know a lot about it. But I don't know much of anything about these Braxton-Hicks contractions or going into labor, so my being fuzzy on that area makes me kind of obsess over it.
So, back to these Braxton-Hicks guys. I've started feeling occasional (like, 4 in a day) period-like cramps. They come on, usually while I'm exerting myself in some way, so I sit or lay down and drink some water. They kind of gradually fade out, so there's none of the distinct-ness I kind of expect with actual labor contractions. And so far, I haven't been feeling any "tightening of my belly" along with them, like my childbirth class described.
Funny thing--as I began typing this post, that ^ was absolutely true...and then I suddenly had what I would describe as that exact sensation. My whole middle feels like it has seized up and tightened. I guess now I know what they have been talking about!
So, yeah, fun times second-guessing weird pregnancy symptoms to pass the time. I'm hoping the fact that I seem to be a big haver of BH contractions, as well as a sufferer of severe menstrual cramps when not pregnant, means that I have the Arnold Schwarzenegger of uteruses (uteri?) and will push this little girl out in two or three pushes. ((A girl can hope, right?))


Ooooh, exciting! I never felt any contractions of any sort (and in fact, never had any on my ten million non-stress tests) so I'm no help there. But everyone knows practice makes perfect, so here's to your uterus getting the jump on the situation!
ReplyDeleteEvery mom I've asked for comparison's sake has said the same thing--they never felt any sort of warm-up contractions prior to labor, either. So I feel like the odd duck with my crampy, contracting uterus! But I hope you're right, and all this practice means my uterus is going to do an awesome job of birthing this kiddo! :)
Delete