Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Q & A

We've had our baby name choices picked out for this kid for quite some time. That's par for the course when you try go get pregnant for multiple years in a row before finally having success. You can't exactly start decorating the nursery yet, or anything else, really, when you're in that state of limbo, but you feel like you need to do SOMETHING proactive on the procreation front. So you talk frequently about your baby name choices, decide on them, change your minds and decide again. At least that's what we did.


We are absolutely going to find out whether we're having a boy or a girl, if at all possible. There have been enough unknowns in this whole business--the gender honestly won't make a huge difference either way, but it will be comforting to know (at least with near certainty).

If the baby is a boy, his name will be Quentin. It's a sort of old-fashioned, distinguished-sounding name, I think, and it's also the name of a book character, the protagonist from Lev Grossman's Magicians trilogy, which I absolutely love. It's like Harry Potter meets Narnia but for nerdy, brainy grownups.

Quentin's middle name will be Porter, my maiden name. Quentin Porter sounds like a stately Englishman in a smoking jacket, or maybe a character on Downton Abbey, don't you think?!?

If the baby is a girl, her name will be Avery. I'm particularly attached to the idea of giving my daughter a name that is more traditionally male--I don't know why. Maybe it all started back in elementary school when I felt drawn to George Fayne, Nancy drew's spunky, independent sidekick with a boy's name. The name Avery is kind of trendy, I know, but I don't think it's a huge deal to have the same name as other people you know. It doesn't make you any less special. Also, an added bonus is that my all-time favorite Star Trek captain, Benjamin Sisko from DS9, was played by a strange-but-awesome actor named Avery Brooks--so there's nerd cred there.

Avery's middle name will be Amelia, after Mr. Epic's and my favorite Doctor Who companion, Amelia Pond (Amy). Avery Amelia just sounds NICE together. It fits.

We haven't been secretive about our name choices--if someone asks, we share. So far, we haven't encountered any particularly disapproving reactions.


2 comments:

  1. Aww, I really like both options! Especially Quentin. It's got a scholarly tone to it but isn't too "old-timey," as my husband would say (finding a boy's name was a nightmare because he was opposed to all the "old-timey" names I liked, sigh). I think we actually considered Quentin at one point but we're both big fans of Tarantino so we the association was a bit too strong for us, if that makes sense.

    And Avery Amelia just looks lovely if you picture it written in script.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to get some positive feedback on our choices! :) Yeah, I get the Tarantino thing, but since I only like one of his movies (Inglourious Basterds), that connection isn't a big deal to us. I wish Avery wasn't such a trendy name, but I like it too much to not use it because of that. I mean, my husband has one of the most common names of all time, so, oh well. And you're right--we love the way "Avery Amelia" looks and sounds together. :)

    ReplyDelete