Wednesday, October 1, 2014

nerd parenting: our kiddo's geeky birthright.

As soon-to-be parents, Mr. Epic and I have an important job ahead of us: inducting our child into his/her geeky birthright.

This child will be a child of proud nerd parentage. Mr. Epic and I work in the fields of computers/data and books, respectively. We are both longtime members of various fandoms: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, among many others. We play video games and sometimes tabletop and role-playing games. We argue over which superhero would win if two were pitted against one another in a fight. Our dining room has a beautifully framed poster of the spaceship Serenity from Firefly hanging on one wall. We own more Legos than I care to think about. There is even a life-sized cardboard cutout of C3P0 in our house. I could go on...and on...and on...


So, you see, Baby Epic has a rich, geeky life ahead of him/her. To that end, Mr. Epic and I feel we have a not-so-solemn ("Why so serious?") duty to properly immerse our little Epic-ling in nerdiness, fandom culture, and geeky life.

We have big plans for this kid, right from the get-go. I'm talking Harry Potter onesies, Darth Vader Mr. Potato Heads, the works, starting from birth. Before the kiddo is old enough to watch Star Wars or Harry Potter or Doctor Who, we will be playing with toy Millennium Falcons, wearing Hogwarts House scarves, waving toy wands, and playing in a homemade cardboard TARDIS. There is so much beyond watching the movies or shows when it comes to geeking out, including many toddler-friendly activities. I can't wait to start these nerdy family traditions with Baby Epic.

Raising a nerdy child doesn't just revolve around fandoms, either. There's so much more to being a nerd. Science, discovery, exploration, learning, creativity, invention. I'm sure this genius kid will find his/her own unique, beautiful ways to nerd out. Kinda makes me tear up just thinking about it...*tear.* Okay, sorry about that--I've pulled myself back together now. ;)

So. Later on I am sure I'll get more specific with different ideas for future geekery with the kiddo.

What are YOUR plans for surrounding your child in nerdy goodness? What do YOU geek out about?


2 comments:

  1. Mmm, so many. I've given this way too much thought, though, because I feel like it's a delicate balance to strike - introducing but not forcing, age appropriateness, etc. As an infant he already seems to like the opening credits of Doctor Who, and there will be no formal introduction there - it's a show that's been on for 50 years, with decades of family history, so it will probably just be "there."

    Harry Potter is the one I'm really torn about introducing. I want him to have the joy of discovery in reading or seeing it for the first time, but that means I shouldn't inundate him with HP stuff in the meantime. But then I want to. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good thought I hadn't considered: the issue of introducing them to too much "stuff" related to the fandom in question kind of taking away from some of the excitement of the first time they read or watch it. That makes it a bit tricky. I'm with you--it makes me very torn between wanting to play Harry Potter with them when they're little, for example, when that could tarnish their first impressions of it as an older kid reading it for the first time.

    As you can see, I'm right there with you, giving this subject too much thought. But these are VERY important parenting decisions! ;)

    ReplyDelete