Monday, November 10, 2014

currently.

I'm posting again for the Currently linkup hosted weekly by the blogs Ot and Et and Harvesting Kale. Each week they provide inspiration for everyone's Currently post in 5 words.

This week's words: reading, running, sending, liking, valuing.


Reading: In last time's Currently post I said I hoped I'd be reading a parenting book by this time, so I could feel better about myself and stuff. Well, the good news is I'm actually actively reading something. The (bad?) news is, it's not a parenting book. But that's okay. I've made an effort to become a more self-forgiving person over the past few years, and I'm certainly not going to be too hard on myself for choosing to entertain my brain at the moment rather than educate it, especially in book form!

I'm reading a VERY popcorn-y YA book that just came in on hold for me at the library, called Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan. It's the last in a trilogy that I'd compare to early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; supernatural stuff, good old-fashioned mystery, teenage drama and hormones, kinda campy and silly, and with fun and punny dialogue. That last part especially reminds me of Buffy. Not highbrow literature by any stretch, but I find it quite entertaining!

(I'll get back to how-to-take-care-of-your-kid books after I finish this one.)


Running: I've been running around like crazy getting ready for the next couple of weeks at work. I'm going to be one busy library lady in the coming weeks! It seems like everything decided the second half of November was a good time to hit all at once. Luckily, I have my 20 week ultrasound (and hopefully gender reveal) to help me power through the chaos!


Sending: (This one may be kind of a stretch...) Pregnancy has been sending some annoying symptoms through my body lately. Crazy sore hips and hormonal crying spells...fun fun fun!



Liking: A couple of bands / artists that Mr. Epic and I enjoy have recently released albums or are going to soon, and so far I'm liking what I hear. Damien Rice just released My Favourite Faded Fantasy, and I have only gotten to hear the singles he released prior to the album, but I like them a lot--especially "I Don't Want To Change You." The songs have a bit of a different sound to them than I'm used to from him, and I'm sad that Lisa Hannigan no longer accompanies Damien, but I'm excited he's making more music and I can't wait to listen to the rest of the album! Also, I can't wait to hear the new Decemberists album (will be preordering that) and the new one from She & Him (ditto). The Decemberists' new single Make You Better is pure awesomeness.


((Please ignore the messy kitchen in the background.)) Me before the wedding we attended this weekend!

Valuing: I've really been valuing the weekends I don't have to work. I have an inconsistent weekend schedule at the library, which often leads to stretches of working every-other Saturday, sometimes consecutive Saturdays, or if I'm super unlucky, Saturdays AND Sundays as I have had to do a couple times lately. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't complain because first-world problems and at least I have a job and all that. But my erratic weekend schedule makes it tough to plan for things, get important things accomplished, and get my much-needed rest in. So I value every last drop of the weekends I have off! This past weekend, we attended a great wedding (yay marriage equality in my state!) and saw some of Mr. Epic's college friends we hadn't seen in awhile. We've got to strategically plan our upcoming free weekends around Thanksgiving prep and Christmas shopping...which I can't believe is upon us already!


Thanks to Ot and Et and Harvesting Kale for hosting this Currently linkup!


2 comments:

  1. There's no bad news in relation to reading a YA novel. I've read exactly two non-children's books since I became a mom, 4 1/2 years ago. I'd consider it a win if I were reading anything. In fact, I swapped reading for feeling in my list of Currently topics this week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you--YA and children's novels are the best. I'm a children's librarian, so I have a definite love for kids' books. And I find that when life is busy and I don't have time to dig into an adult novel, I have a much easier & more enjoyable time reading kids' stuff instead.

      I'm very much anticipating what you describe, too--not having much time for reading for myself once my kiddo gets here. I'm taking advantage of the reading time I have left!

      Delete