Tuesday, November 25, 2014

pregnancy: hospital tour #2.

Last night was our second of two hospital tours--and this one is the one that really counted, because we recently found out that my doc just stopped delivering at the other hospital. So this was the real deal--the tour of the hospital where I will be delivering Avery. I was a bit worried, because there were so many things I absolutely loved about the other hospital, and it made me worry that hospital #2 wouldn't follow the same practices I felt so good about with #1.
Well, I have to say, this tour went pretty well. The facility is actually much nicer than at the other hospital, the rooms are bigger, and you recover in the same room you deliver in, which is nice. I felt like this tour was a much more cut-and-dry overview of mostly just the facilities and the basic routines, which was far different from the very in-depth information shared at the other tour. That left me worried about this hospital's attitudes on things like immediate skin-to-skin; they mentioned rooming in, but not that. We stopped our tour guide at the end and asked, and she said they definitely do skin-to-skin. So, I'm sure I'll get more details at our childbirth classes, but I think I was fretting for nothing--I'm sure most of what I liked about the other hospital is pretty much standard procedure at all hospitals these days.

Funny enough--while we were on the tour, another couple also on the tour stopped us and asked if we live in [our neighborhood]; come to realize, they are our neighbors, just two houses down from us! We didn't put together at first that that was who they were, because we don't see them out much when we're outside. But we had a good chat with them, and found out their baby girl is due in January. So Avery will have a little girl her age, in her grade at the same school, to play with on our street! Pretty cool!

So, that was our second hospital tour. Now I'm anxiously and eagerly awaiting our childbirth & infant care classes there, which will start in February!


No comments:

Post a Comment